The Director of Communications & External Affairs reports to the President and is responsible for shaping, overseeing and implementing communications for Times Square. The Director oversees the organization's graphic design, digital, social media, internal & external communications, crisis communications, marketing promotions and strategic PR for major programming initiatives such as Times Square Arts, New Year's Eve, Summer Solstice & Taste of Times Square.
With a team of five – including the digital coordinator, communications manager, graphic designer, external affairs coordinator and communications coordinator - the Director is also responsible for directly managing external communications/branding consultants such as Rubenstein Associates, HD Made & World Studio.
The Director supports several cross-departmental communications campaigns & projects, including the Crossroads program to service local businesses and residents, a Partnership taskforce to better coordinate strategic partnerships across the organization, internal communications programs alongside Human Resources, the delivery of tourism services and historical content to visitors to Times Square; as well as communications for the "Times Square Transformation" - a 40 million dollar capital redesign project that will realize the next, permanent phase of the Broadway plazas in Times Square in collaboration with city agencies over the coming years.
The Director is also responsible for developing the strategic External Affairs program, overseeing the External Affairs coordinator and legal counsel firm Davidoff Hutcher & Citron LLP. In this capacity, the Director develops and drives the Alliance’s public policy and government affairs agenda across a range of issues and relationships, coordinating with community and civic partners to advance policy goals. The Director is responsible for executing strategic communications campaigns to highlight key quality of life concerns in the area, cultivating relationships with new/pertinent city agency staffers as well as City Hall, attending networking and community functions and meetings, and coordinating stakeholder outreach to key Board members and other audiences.
To apply for this position, please click here.
We are currently seeking highly-motivated Graphic Designer to help us shape and tell the story of Times Square, cultivating the creativity, energy and edge that have made the area an icon of entertainment, culture and urban life for over a century.
The Graphic Designer manages the Alliance’s visual communications efforts, overseeing the visual brand of Times Square and the Times Square Alliance. This position supports multiple departments including Marketing, Communications, Public Art, Operations and Planning, Policy & Design and is responsible for creating all printed materials, advertisements, logos, signage and online graphics. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develops and designs a variety of print and digital materials including advertisements, posters, logos, postcards, promotional items, invitations, annual reports, and other publications
- Oversees and enforces guidelines for the organization’s visual brand internally and externally
- Closely coordinates with the events team to project manage design deliverables, timelines & execute on new/existing event creative
- Coordinates the inventory of all graphical work and Alliance photography/video for easy retrieval and backup
- Support web design efforts, including the design of website ads, banners, graphics and oversees email marketing (e-newsletters) program
- Manages printing/mailing vendors, occasional oversight of consulting Graphic Design firm, and coordinates graphic design budget
- BA/BFA in Graphic Design
- 2-5 years of experience in web or print graphic design, either in an agency or in-house or freelance
- Must have mastery of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign or Illustrator)
- Ability to collaborate with other staff and take directions from various people; ability to work in a fast pace environment
- Strong conceptual planning, creative design, and typography skills and the ability to follow art direction and collaborate on layouts
- Must have exceptional organizational and time management skills, including handing multiple projects simultaneously and ability to shift priorities and work will under pressure; meeting tight deadlines; and reacting quickly and smoothly to changes.
- Photography, PowerPoint and Copywriting, digital applications (Flash, Dreamweaver) experience is a plus
To apply for this position, please click here.
The Assistant Director of Public Safety reports ot the Director of Public Safety and supervisors the supervisory and line officers and other safety department personnel. The Assistant Director assists the Director of Public Safety with the overall operations of the Public Safety Division including the development and adherence of policies, procedures and supervision of field operations and administrative tasks and takes an active role in leading and influencing the department’s mission. Oversees the daily field operations of the public safety department and works closely with all internal and external Alliance stakeholders. The job requires a flexible work schedule to accommodate special events; this may include working evenings, overnight and weekends.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- With the Director, develop plans and procedures intended to increase operational efficiency of the public safety staff.
- Works closely with all supervisory personnel within the department to ensure optimum performance and professional standards of the public safety staff.
- Assists the Director with executing daily supervision and takes disciplinary action if needed.
- Able to make immediate decisions and determines actions to be taken in emergency situations and notifies the necessary parties.
Oversees the collection and maintenance of all statistical data related to Quality of Life indicators and/or additional metrics as determined by the Director.
- Participates in the annual performance evaluation process.
- Acts as the liaison for the department with internal and external stakeholders, building security and external vendor services: i.e. security cameras and access control systems.
- Makes recommendations toward the subject matter of in-service training for staff and assists in the recruitment, orientation and development of new personnel.
- Develops, cultivates and maintains effective working relationships with all members of the public safety staff.
- Helps to implement an effective model of customer service, security response and informational services to be used by the public safety officers.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 to 7 years of experience in law enforcement or any combination of education, training, or experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Must possess extensive experience in the administration and operational oversight of Public Safety or a community-policing program.
- Must have strong supervisory experience.
- Must have computer proficiency including MS Excel/Word/Outlook;
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills are essential.
- Must have basic knowledge of current penal laws and code enforcement.
- Experience conducting investigations is a plus.
To submit resume and cover letter to, please click here.