The Times Square Alliance and Countdown Entertainment, organizers of Times Square New Year’s Eve, along with their partners, Toshiba and Livestream, have launched the first official Times Square Ball App, specially designed for Apple and Android mobile devices. The free app is designed to put you in the middle of the legendary New Year’s Eve festivities in Times Square, no matter where you are in the world.
- Experience Times Square New Year's Eve from anywhere in the world with a FREE, official app for Apple and Android devices
- See your face on the Toshiba Vision Sign at the center of the celebration directly beneath the Times Square Ball
- Watch and participate in the LIVE global celebration from your mobile device
Among the app’s many features is the LIVE, six-and-a-half-hour, commercial-free mobile stream of New Year’s Eve in Times Square powered by Livestream, including live musical performances and the ability to participate in the celebration.
Toshiba, the Times Square New Year’s Eve official Countdown Sponsor, is providing a unique opportunity for users of the app to see their photos on the Toshiba Vision sign directly below the Times Square Ball on New Year’s Eve. Livestream will also be providing a live mobile stream of all the events leading up to New Year’s Eve and an on-demand video library with the latest news clips. These are just a couple of ways that the app will convey the unique buzz of Times Square, before and when the Ball descends on New Year’s Eve. Apart from the big night, the app will be a year-round source of information about the non-stop excitement that makes Times Square the “Crossroads of the World.”
Here are some of the app features:
- Tweet @TimesSquareBall for the chance to see a reply to or a retweet of your greetings for the New Year scroll on the home screen of the 2012 official Times Square Ball App.
- Send New Year’s Eve cards with personalized greetings with photos from the app to friends, family and followers on Facebook, Twitter and via email.
- Submit your New Year’s photos for friends, family and other revelers to vote on via the app, on Facebook and Twitter. The photos with the most votes will be showcased on the Toshiba Vision sign atop One Times Square directly beneath the Waterford Crystal New Year’s Eve Ball on December 31. Photos with the most votes will be posted at the top of each hour from 7 p.m. through 11 p.m., and displayed for the world to view during the live show.
- Watch live streaming of the Times Square Ball and Toshiba Vision screen atop One Times Square throughout the year as well as the highlight promo and other exclusive video content.
- Customize your Toshiba Countdown Clock on your app’s home screen with your personal photo and time zone.
- Check-in via Foursquare, Facebook and Twitter to find out how far away you are from Times Square.
- Discover everything you need to know about the Times Square New Year’s Eve Celebration, including the history, news, weather, photos, relevant maps, and live show schedule.
- After the last of the New Year’s Eve confetti is swept from Times Square, the app will continue to be a year-round source of Times Square news, events and entertainment.
- Apple products: iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad. Required iOS 4.2 or later. 6.6 MB (size of App)
- Android products: Required Android 2.2 or later. 6.6 MB (size of App)
The Times Square Ball App was produced by Monday Sessions Media, developed by HAAS/créa, and streaming components developed by Livestream LLC.
For more information about the Times Square Ball visit www.TimesSquareBall.net.
Official Press Release >> (.pdf)
Spokespeople are available for in studio, live, tape, or telephone interviews. App images and a demonstration video are available at: http://timessquareball.net/app/