Every day, Times Square Safety Officers assist visitors with a variety of issues. Below please find a listing of the questions we're most frequently asked, along with the answers.
- Do I have to tip the costume characters in Times Square?
- What festivals or events are taking place in and around New York City?
- How do I get a message (marriage proposals, birthday wishes, etc.) put up on a giant billboard in Times Square?
- Where and when can I see the ball lowered on New Year's Eve?
- What kind of family-friendly activities are available in Times Square?
- What are some good places to dine in Times Square?
- I am coming to Times Square. How do I plan my trip?
- Where can I purchase Broadway show tickets?
- What are the locations and hours of the TKTS booth for the sale of theater tickets?
- Where can I shop in Times Square?
- What's the best way to see New York City?
Since the characters are not officially licensed or regulated, if you see or experience any aggressive or inappropriate behavior please contact NYPD or a Times Square Safety Officer or call 212.452.5218.
You are NOT REQUIRED to tip costume characters.
What festivals or events are taking place in and around New York City?
Anything and everything is happening in the Big Apple, all night and all day, every night and every day. For a look at what's going on in Times Square, check out our homepage, our Happening in Times Square page, and our Events page. For events throughout New York City, websites like www.nycgo.com are a great place to start.
How do I get a message (marriage proposals, birthday wishes, etc.) put up on a giant billboard in Times Square?
Around these parts, we like to call those giant electronic signs or billboards "spectaculars." These billboards are independently owned by various outdoor media and digital sign companies so you would need to contact them individually for their policies and rates.
Please check out our Advertising in Times Square for detailed information on renting space on the neighborhood's big screens.
Visit the New Year's Eve section of this website for the answers to all your New Year-related questions.
For starters, check out Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum, Hard Rock Cafe, Discovery Times Square Exposition, Ripley's Believe It or Not Odditorium, Bowlmor Lanes, The New Victory Theater and many of the Broadway Shows.
Take the Times Square Broadway Walking Tour and get a glimpse of Times Square’s vibrant past.
There are a multitude of restaurants in Times Square, catering to all tastes and all budgets. Restaurant Row, on West 46th Street between Broadway and 9th Avenue, contains some of the City's most famous eateries. For a comprehensive listing of Times Square restaurants, check out our Dining Guide.
First of all, take a look at the Visitor Tips section of the website. You can also plan ahead by viewing the list of local hotels, restaurants, Broadway shows and attractions and creating a Times Square itinerary. Sign up for the official Times Square e-Newsletter. You'll get the latest information on deals and events. Plus, find us on Facebook and Twitter!
The How to Buy Broadway Tickets page will help you choose from a variety of options that is most convenient for you whether it's online, over the phone or in person.
The TKTS booth at Duffy Square, at 47th St. and Broadway, offers same-day discounted tickets to dozens of Broadway and Off Broadway shows. TKTS Times Square accepts credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover), cash, travelers checks or TKTS Gift Certificates.
TKTS sells tickets at 50%, 40%, 30% and 20% off full-price (plus a $4.00 per ticket service charge, which helps support other TDF services and programs. Additional non-TDF charges may apply). Availability and ticket inventory change throughout the day and at the discretion of individual productions.
For evening performances:
- Monday, Wednesday, Thursday*, Friday*, Saturday, Sunday: 3pm - 8pm
- Tuesday: 2pm - 8pm*
For matinee performances:
- Wednesday and Saturday: 10am - 2pm (Please note: no evening tickets are sold from 10am to 2pm at Times Square)
- Sunday: 11am - 3pm
* If there is a matinee performance for sale on these days, the booth will open at 10am. Check the electronic boards for show schedules.
Visit www.tdf.org for more information.
Visit our Shopping section for a complete list of Times Square retailers. There are numerous stores in Times Square including: Sephora (1500 Broadway and 5 Times Sq), Swatch, Levi's, Aeropostale, Foot Locker, Forever 21, Disney, American Eagle Outfitters, Hershey's Store, M&M's World, Fossil, Inglot and more!
We suggest a walking tour. Take the Times Square Broadway Walking Tour and get a glimpse of Times Square’s vibrant past. You can also take a City Sights NY Tour. Or why not travel like a true New Yorker via mass transit? Visit our Getting Around and Parking page for more information.
Top Image Photo Credit: Kevin Tachman